Wednesday, October 28, 2009

October 28th: Day 43

Last night I had the best of intentions of posting pictures, but a migraine won out...imagine that. Early this morning when I called to check on Ben, I learned he had an ok night, but was still very easily agitated and dropping his sats with minimal stimulation and routine care. This morning, the chest x-ray looked not so great again, so they again had to 'tap' his chest. They pulled off roughly the same amount they did before when the pleural effusion was causing him trouble. They had also turned up the pressure on his vent, but today I talked with Dr. Anna (an-ya) and she said that it was not because he was worse, but simply to compensate for the air leak around his tube. Since they tapped his chest this morning he has been doing pretty perfect today...his sats have been 100/100 for most of the day and he had one of his best blood gases this afternoon. So, they decided to wean a bit of his oxygen, just by 2%, but if he continues to do good for several hours, they will continue to back down another small increment. So far, it looks like tomorrow will be the last surgery to close him up fully. I am looking forward to getting this taken care of. If he continues to have issues with the pleural effusion, they are considering inserting a chest tube, but I don't think we are there yet.
On another note, his best buddy Ellis is doing great also. They are starting to hear the 'h' word ...(home). I am so happy that going home is even beginning to be discussed...he is such an amazing little guy too! Keep up the good work Ellis, you need to show Ben how to do this so he can get home too!
Right now, Ben is resting peacefully with his little buddy the giraffe and a bear. He looks so cute and calm today. Days like this help to get thru the rough days. We've talked about Halloween costumes for him...Ben and Ellis are thinking about being boxers...they're tougher than any professional boxer I've ever seen! The little engine that could was also brought up....personally, I'd say he's more of a freight train :) Take care everyone, I'll try to update asap.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that he is doing good today. I agree with the freight train for halloween!! He is such a fighter! I will continue to pray that things go well tomorrow with the last surgery. Hang in there the best you can. God bless you!!

    Love,
    Christine B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kell
    I am so glad to hear that Ben is doing better!! It was great to see you last night, I miss you SO much!! I am SO sorry for everything that all of you are going through, try your hardest to keep your head up. I know that you are going through an extremely hard time right now both emotionally, physically and financially! Just remeber that what doesn't kill us,just makes us stronger. Also try not to worry so much about finances, it will all work out in the end. If you need ANYTHING please let me know. I am going to talk to some social workers at the hospital today and I will call ya later!! Keep up the good work Ben, big hugs and kisses from your Holly Pops!!
    xoxoxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog through the newspaper article. I hope the fundraiser is wonderful!

    Keeping Ben in my thoughts and prayers - he is adorable - and yes, they are Freight Trains!

    Peace,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete