Thursday, October 22, 2009

3rd surgery update

Benjamin made it thru surgery fine. His hernia was VERY large. In fact, there was not much diaphragm to work with, but there was enough to sew in the patch. Dr. Saito said she has done 15-20 of these surgeries and Benjamins is either the largest or second largest she's actually repaired. (Her partners have dealt with hernias this size though). Benjamins liver and spleen are also quite enlarged, so when attempting to put the abdominal contents back into the abdomen, a patch was required there (on the outside) also. Basically his incision is at least 6 inches across his abdomen, so pretty much across his entire belly, with a patch that is in the shape of an eye over it to allow for the abdominal contents to be covered up. The plan is to slowly close this patched area every couple days until it is fully closed. He also has 2 drains in his abdomen to allow any extra fluid a way to come out. His art line that was placed during surgery is already not working, so they attempted another one, but it was unsuccessful. They will be attempting another one tonight so they can draw his blood from it and monitor his blood pressure. His oxygenation is the range they want it to be and his carbon dioxide level is slowly coming down. His heart rate is the highest we've seen it yet and they are working on ways to try to bring this down. We have been told to expect him to become quite puffy in the next few days and that things are going to be rough for a bit until we can hopefully get him to calm down and settle back in to his comfort zone. He will continue to needs lots of prayers and loving....thanks for continuing to keep him in prayer.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the updates! I am so glad to hear that surgery went well and he did good!! I will keep those prayers coming that he continues to do well with his recovery. I have been praying and thinking about you guys all day. Hang in there the best you can and may God continue to bless you guys and be with you.

    Love,
    Christine B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Ben! Keep sharing your amazing strength. We love you tons and are thinking about you and your family all the time.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Christine, James, Lilah, and Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear the good news!! I'm sure it was a long day waiting to hear how he was doing! I know it was for me so I can't even imagine how long it must have been for you Kell and Dave! I'm so proud of you Ben, keep up the good work! I know you have a long road ahead of you but with all the love and prayers that your receiving I know you will pull through this just fine. I will con't to pray for all of you and try to get rest and stay strong. I hope to see you soon!
    Love Ya
    Holly and Family
    xoxoxoxxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to hear a good update. Benjamin is such a little fighter. I know his battle is far from over! Keep up the good work little guy! I will continue to pray for him & your entire family!

    Love you!
    Christine P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I also have a daughter that was born with CDH. These children are such HUGE fighters. We live in Iowa. We knew at my 20 week ultrasound so we decided to travel to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 8 weeks before her birth. Her life is not perfect in any way. (This last year she had to have 5 abdominal surgeries due to bowel obstruction and reherniation.) I wouldn't know what to do without Ava. She loves life. She turned 3 August 31.

    I just wanted to give you a HUGE shower of hope. Your son sounds like he is doing all theright things. If you'd like to read more about our journey I'll add the link at the bottom. I'm here if you need to talk. I know the long and difficult road. (mycdhlife@gmail.com)

    ~Terri and Ava
    http://avaslifewithcdh.blogspot.com
    http://cdhawarenessvideos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete