Monday, November 23, 2009

Breaths for Benjamin



Today was a monumental day for Benjamin.....are you sitting down everyone? He made so much progress weaning on the ventilator support that they removed his breathing tube! We knew this was likely coming today, and we were anxiously awaiting this to happen. This is what we were praying for...that he would do well enough to have the ventilator support taken away and for him to be able to breathe on his own. Sometimes, once the vent tube is removed, the kiddos can wear out from having to do all the breathing on their own, and need to have a new tube put back in....but as of right now, he has been off the vent now for roughly 10 hours and he is still doing wonderful. We are now praying for him to continue doing well so he can eventually wean off of the high humidity oxygen flow as well. Check out his pictures....I think the looks say it all, he looks so relaxed on the first pic and so excited on the second pic to have the tube out.....more to come soon!!

5 comments:

  1. Kell,
    I can barely see I'm crying so hard with JOY!!! I can't beleive he is off the vent!! WOHOO!!!!! He looks so relaxed and happy. This makes Emma's Christmas wish one step closer! I will con't to pray and can't wait to hear much more wonderful news soon. We can all surely give thanks this Thanksgiving! Love ands miss ya!
    Holly Pops
    xoxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited!!! I am jumping for joy for you guys!! That is just wonderful news!! I will pray that Ben continues to do well and continues to take those steps forward to getting out of the hospital. What a wonderful thanksgiving blessing!! I hope you guys have a wonderful thanksgiving!!! God bless!

    Love,
    Christine B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear your wonderful news. He looks like a whole new baby without that tube! Such a little cutie! I hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving! Keep the good news coming!

    XOXOXO
    Christine P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rode on the shuttle with Benjamin's nurse this evening and she said he is still extubated!! I am so very excited. I pray for his continued success: that he tolerates feeds, that he gets used to less DRUGS, that he continues to make steps towards seeing the outside of SLCH. I heard he spit up today too...sounds like he got so excited to see his Mama. Just remember, when he throws up...that means he has strong belly muscles that we all did not even know he had!! Sorry I did not get to see the lil guy today but I will make it down there this weekend. GO BEN GO!
    Love, Shannon RN CICU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that he has made such a huge step. Just know that feeds and weaning off the drugs can take a while. About half way through!

    Sending thoughts, prayers and Lung Function chants!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete