Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ben's Dressed and Movin!!




Three Big Days for Ben......
On Sunday the 15th, Ben's two month Birthday, he and I shared a much anticipated Birthday present with each other. I was able to hold my son for the very first time in 2 months. It was amazing!!! When Kelly and I arrived at the hospital on Sunday afternoon we were standing at the bedside looking at Ben as usual and Mindy (Ben's Nurse) asked who is going to hold him. I thought she was joking. She said she didn't know how we could just keep coming to see him and only be able to stare at him. Finally, It was our time, Thanks Mindy. I held him for about 45 minutes and he was wide awake when he was first placed in my arms and we just looked at each other for what seemed like forever. Eventually I rocked him to sleep and it was wonderful. It's hard to describe something as normal as holding your 2 month old son as being incredible, but everything has been different with Ben. It's nice to have those normal moments with him.
Monday was another milestone for Ben. He got dressed!! Since Ben had his chest tube removed last week and his wounds were heeled the nurses said we could bring in some clothes. Kelly had picked out a onesie from where else........Target. Monday when we went to visit Ben we were able to dress him for the very first time. He looks so grown up with that outfit on, and we took plenty of pictures. It was a fun day for all of us.
When we arrived at the hospital today it was Kelly's turn. She held him for over an hour and then I held him for about an hour. It was our second time, mine in three days. Hopefully this becomes more normal and I won't get so excited that I have to write about each time I hold my child. Ben did great and Sats were mostly 100/100. As of 10:00 p.m., Nov. 17th Ben is doing great, his life support vent for beats per minute is down to 26!! His oxygen setting is down to 54%!! Keep in mind he was at 70 and 100% a little over 2 weeks ago. Way to go Ben, keep it up.

More thanks:
Thanks to Holly Debbie & DeeDee for all the work you did for the benefit, you guys are awesome.
Thanks to Danielle and Drew for babysitting Emma and Elsa during the benefit, the house was not even on fire when we got home. They were so cute and drooling all over our couches I almost let them sleep. You guys are so sweet, thanks.
Thanks to Tanya and Josh for donating way more than enough, and to Matt & Misty for driving all the way from Ozark, MO to be there.
Thanks to my Bro Timmy and his wife Laurie for all of their support and for helping us find Christ Church, we wouldn't have the strength to get through this with out that support.
Thanks to the all the people from Express Scripts for their donations and for the gift card book. We have been living off of that since Sunday, you guys are an excellent support team for our family and now I know why Kelly drives all the way to Maryland Heights to work.
Thanks to everyone else for your prayers, keep going, for they are being answered in the form of a little Miracle named Benjamin David.


















7 comments:

  1. Dave & Kel
    The pictures of you and Ben and Kel and Ben are so cute--he is SO HANDSOME--I could just love him up as I'm sure you both enjoyed holding him very much. You must have just melted. He looks so cute in that outfit and so comfy. Give him a big hug and kiss from me and Great Uncle Roni Boy. Will see him soon. Can't wait to see Benjamin.
    Luv Always,
    Great Aunt Kolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so so very happy to hear such great news!! I am also so excited that both of you have been able to hold him!! He looks very handsome in his outfit!!! Continue to keep up the good work Ben. What a miracle!! God bless you all!!

    Love,
    Christine B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the outfit Benjamin--too cute! Keep fighting like you have been. I know that your Mommy is so proud of you (she told me so)! Take care & God Bless!

    Love,
    Christine P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kell and Dave,
    What a handsome little bugger!! I'm SOOOOO glad that he is doing so great. What a champ!! You and Kell look extremely happy for once, its great to see the reassurance on your faces! I never thought I would cry with joy but Ben has given that gift to me. Keep up the GREAT work Ben and I can't wait for the day that we can all hold ya. I have to let ya in on a little secret Ben, your going to be delayed on walking. Not because you can't, but simply becuase none of us are ever going to put you down long enough to try!! hahahaaha!!! Keep up the great job Ben, keep proving all statistics wrong! Your are by far an angel and miracle from GOD.Love ya lots!!
    Your Cuz,
    Holly Pops
    xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubble family,

    At work on Monday I was floated to the room next to Benjamin's. I dropped off one of Ben's meds and got to see him. I missed you..I think you stepped out to grab some food. I cannot believe how big he has gotten..he is a lil man now!! I absolutely love his striped outfit. I worked yesterday and bumped into Dr. Saito. She said, "Have you seen him lately?", he looks so great, his rate is down, he is getting so big, and making progress". I wish you could have seen the look on her face. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is so excited and is amazed by your miracle son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dave and Kelly,
    I can't believe how big he is getting! It's so wonderful! I hope he continues to do well and stays healthy. He looks so cute in his new clothes. It looks like his hair is getting fuller and longer too :) What a handsome little boy! Thank you for all the posts; I really enjoy keeping in touch with you guys and hearing about Ben's progress.
    Hope to talk to you soon!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete